IrishPast.com - The culture, history and people of Ireland and the Irish

Prev | Next | Contents | Main Page

FOOTNOTES:

1. This body is fully described in the next chapter.

2. See Appendix to Third Report, p. 311.

3. The Damnation of Theron Ware. This was the title of the book I read in the United States. I am told he published it in England under the title of Illuminations--a nice discrimination!

4. They appeared under the signature of 'X.' in Nov. and Dec., 1893, and Jan., 1894.

5. Fortnightly Review, Jan. 1894, pp. 11, 12.

6. The difficulties of the writer who is not a writer are great. I sent this chapter to two literary friends, one of whom, with the help of a globe, disputed my accuracy in a learned ethnological disquisition with which he favoured me. The other warned me to be even more obscure and sent me the following verses, addressed by 'Cynicus' (J.K. Stephen) to Shakespeare,

"You wrote a line too much, my sage, Of seers the first, the first of sayers; For only half the world's a stage, And only all the women players."

1. These qualities, as will be explained later, happen to have a special economic value in the farming industry, and so are available for the elevation of rural life, with whose problems we are now so deeply concerned in Ireland. Their applicability to urban life need not be discussed here. But my study of the co-operative movement in England has convinced me that, if the English had the associative instincts of the Irish, that movement would play a part in English life more commensurate with its numerical strength and the volume of its commercial transactions, than can be claimed for it so far.

2. La Psychologie de la Foule.

3. July 27th, 1903,--His Majesty thus confirmed the striking utterance of imperial policy contained in Lord Dudley's speech to the Incorporated Law Society, on the 20th of November, 1902. His Excellency, after protesting against the conception of empire as a 'huge regiment' in which each nation was to lose its individuality, said--"Lasting strength, lasting loyalty, are not to be secured by any attempt to force into one system or to remould into one type those special characteristics which are the outcome of a nation's history and of her religious and social conditions, but rather by a full recognition of the fact that these very characteristics form an essential part of a nation's life; and that under wise guidance and under sympathetic treatment they will enable her to provide her own contribution and to play her own special part in the life of the empire to which she belongs."

Prev | Next | Contents | Main Page

Ireland

This is a website about Irish history and culture.