The name Declan is the anglicized form of the Irish name Deaglán, which is of unknown meaning. Saint Declan was an early Irish bishop and abbot. He is sometimes said to be one of four bishops to have preceded Saint Patrick in Ireland in the early 5th century. His feast day is July 24.
Saint Declan converted the people of the Decies, an ancient principality of southern Ireland, to Christianity. There he founded the monastic settlement of Ardmore.
Famous people whose first name is Declan include:
- Declan Costello, Attorney-General of Ireland
- Declan Galbraith, English singing phenomenon
- Declan Donnelly, British television personality
- Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus (better known as Elvis Costello), British musician
- Declan Masterson, Irish band member of Patrick Street
- Declan Nerney, Irish country music personality
- Declan Donnellan, British theatre director
Home | More Irish Names